My cornbread waffles are super scrumptious and I had the inspiration to make them after I sampled this new line of plant-based sausages from TMRW Foods!
TMRW is an all-Canadian company and they’ve nailed a meatless sausage made from simple hearty plant ingredients. I’m thrilled to tell you TMRW sausage is totally hot for food approved. I paired the hickory maple flavor with the cornbread waffles, because duh. They make the perfect breakfast/brunch duo!
The variety of flavor profiles in this new line of sausages make them really versatile so you can eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Check out the whole line including:
Roasted Garlic & Herb
Other than the hickory maple flavor, I’m really digging the roasted garlic & herb sausages. They’re very reminiscent of a turkey-style sausage and are oh so savory and delicious. I’ve been eating them with big salads and grain bowls. They really round out a big plate of veggies and they’re super quick to cook—it doesn’t take more than about 5 minutes to fully cook these sausages! I really like and approve of the texture and taste of the TMRW sausages. They have great bite from an outer skin that gets crispy when cooked, and a textured inner filling that’s similar to sausage and stays juicy. The best part is these sausages are made with ingredients like peas, kidney beans, and quinoa. But don’t worry because they still totally taste like sausage!
Enter to win a prize pack containing everything you need to throw a TMRW Sausage Party here!
This whole meal comes together fast because while your waffle maker is doing all the work for the cornbread waffles you can fry up the TMRW sausage in a cast-iron pan and mix together the sweet maple butter. You might think this is similar to my savory green waffle recipe, but the texture of these waffles is actually more like cornbread—hence the name! Feel free to jazz these up however you want. I folded in some fresh chives to the waffle batter which I feel lends a nice fresh flavor, you could also try other mix-ins or toppings as well. So, let’s get it!
cornbread waffles with sausage
get ready for a vegan brunch feast with these cornbread waffles, hickory maple sausages from TMRW Foods and a sweet maple butter drizzle.
- 1 C medium grind yellow cornmeal
- ¾ C all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- ¾ C nondairy milk
- 1 pkg TMRW Sausage (hickory maple)
maple butter drizzle
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Mixed with ¼ cup maple syrup
- Heat the waffle iron over medium-high heat.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together cornmeal, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and sea salt. Add chopped chives, melted butter, and nondairy milk and stir together until well combined.
- Butter the inside of the waffle iron once it’s preheated. Then pour all the waffle batter onto the bottom of the waffle iron and spread out evenly with a spatula, leaving 1-inch free of batter around all sides. Close the top and cook the waffle for about 5 to 7 minutes. I have a large square waffle iron so all the batter fit to make 4 smaller squares. You might need to divide the batter into 2 batches if you have a smaller waffle iron.
- While the waffles are cooking, heat a lightly oiled cast-iron pan over medium heat. Place thawed or frozen hickory maple sausages into the pan and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes. Lower heat as necessary as the pan gets hotter. Rotate every couple of minutes to get all sides of the sausages evenly browned.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of melted butter in a bowl in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds until melted. Stir in maple syrup to make the warm maple butter for drizzling.
3 thoughts on “vegan cornbread waffles with sausage”
These were so easy and so good! I made these for breakfast today and used some original Beyond sausage (they taste like what I remember breakfast sausage tasting like) for the side and it was an awesome breakfast.
Thanks For Sharing this amazing recipe. My family loved it. I will be sharing this recipe with my friends. Hope the will like it.
awesome I hope so too!!