When it comes to waffles, admittedly I am a savory gal! Sweet can be nostalgic and fun, but if vegan waffles are stuffed with healthy-ish ingredients it can really feel like a complete meal. That’s what I was going for with these green waffles. They’ve got spinach, green onion, and vegan cashew cheese in the batter and stuffed throughout the whole stack! The sriracha maple syrup is also a nice kick. It really that compliments this brunchy, lunchy, maybe even breakfast for dinner kinda dish!
I’m in love with my new waffle iron from Hudson’s Bay as well. Check it out here and see how to make your mornings super cozy in a post I did for the Hudson’s Bay blog, The Point.
This is all part of the latest video on my YouTube channel for vegan waffles 2 ways, which you can watch below or keep scrolling for the recipe.
green waffles with spinach, onion, vegan cheese & sriracha maple syrup
Get in yer greens by stuffing them into these super delicious and comforting savory waffles! There’s also a little heat from a drizzle of sriracha maple syrup.
- 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1/4 C cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt and ground black pepper
- 1/3 C fermented spreadable herbed cashew cheese, cut or broken into small chunks (or 1 C vegan cheese shreds)
- 1/3 C chopped green onion
- 1 C packed baby spinach
- 1/4 C melted vegan butter
- 1 1/2 C nondairy milk
sriracha maple syrup
- 1/2 C pure maple syrup
- 1 to 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 C arugula
- dill sprigs, as garnish (optional)
- chopped chives, as garnish (optional)
- Heat your waffle iron. This is the one I purchased from Hudson’s Bay.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, onion powder, smoke paprika, ground black pepper, and sea salt.
Add the cashew cheese in small chunks and toss to get them coated in the dry ingredients.
Add green onion, spinach, vegan butter, and nondairy milk to the bowl and fold to combine. Do not over mix the batter but ensure you don’t see any bits of flour left unmixed.
- Spray the waffle iron with a coating of oil on both sides.
- Pour half the batter into the center of the waffle iron and spread out to the edges. Close the lid and cook for 7 to 9 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Time will vary depending on your make of waffle iron.
Before serving, combine the sriracha and maple syrup together.
Serve the waffles with sliced avocado, baby arugula or other greens, and garnish with dill and/or chives. Top with a bit more of the cashew cheese if you used it, and douse in sriracha maple syrup! If you have left over waffles you can re-heat them in the waffle iron to get them crisp again before serving.
5 thoughts on “green waffles with spinach, onion, vegan cheese & sriracha maple syrup”
10/10 best breakfast i’ve ever made
Best waffles I’ve ever had!
Amazing – fabulous brunch feature with rave reviews!
I use this recipe ALL the time. I even add more of the seasonings. Thanks for sharing this!!