This easy vegan sweet potato mash is going to make your Thanksgiving feast complete! Sweet potatoes are basically the perfect food because they’re super nutritious, and equally delicious on their own. Mash ’em up with delicious spices, nutritional yeast, and some vegan butter? Now that’s a side dish no one can refuse! It’s creamy, sweet, and savory, AKA a perfect combination.
It also goes great with all the other fixin’s of a vegan holiday meal. Not sure where to start? Why not take a stab at creating my crazy holiday creation, the vegducken!
Check out the recipe video below for a full how-to or keep scrolling for the full recipe.
easy vegan sweet potato mash
This easy vegan sweet potato mash is creamy, sweet, and savory.
- 8 C diced sweet potato (peeled or unpeeled)
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dill
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 C pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)
- Boil a large pot of salted water and once at a rolling boil add the diced sweet potato. They should take approximately 10 minutes to cook until tender. Drain the potatoes and add them back to the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the pecans) and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Top with pecans and serve immediately!
8 thoughts on “easy vegan sweet potato mash”
This looks great. I’ve flagged this for Thanksgiving this year … think I might modify slightly by making "twice-baked" sweet potatoes and adding the mash back into the sweet potato shell. Thanks for the nice post! 🙂
sounds like a cool idea!!!!
I made this for Thanksgiving tonight! It was awesome, I added extra of all the spices though, and also added some maple syrup into the crumbled pecans and the mash 😉 It was all gone by the end of dinner!! Everyone had seconds! Thanks Lauren <3 Btw — 100% vegan dinner for 8 omnivore guests 😉
Such a great recipe! This was a hit at my vegan Friendsgiving celebration!