I made these super chocolatey and chewy easy vegan brownie bites just in time for National Chocolate Day today and Halloween this week! But they’re definitely a staple dessert or snack you’ll want to have on hand anytime a sweet craving hits.
Mini brownies always have me drooling at the grocery store, but they are never vegan! Now I’ve solved the dilemma and made an even better homemade recipe for vegan brownie bites.
Now I know there’s a big debate about whether brownies should be cakey or chewy. To me there is no argument. Because isn’t a cakey brownie just a piece of chocolate cake?! Am I right? So my recipe makes them chewy. The ONLY way to have your brownies in my opinion!
Don’t forget to pour a tall glass of almond milk to wash these brownie babies down with! Grab one as a quick dessert or for a mid-afternoon sugar rush… actually, I’m not going to pretend you need an excuse to eat these. Just do it!
easy vegan brownie bites
These super chocolatey, chewy mini brownie bites are the perfect snack to have on hand whenever cravings hit!
- 2 tbsp ground flax meal or ground chia
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- 1/3 C dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 C vegan butter
- 2/3 C vegan chocolate chips
- 3/4 C organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C walnuts, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together flax meal and water and set aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
Meanwhile, sift together the flour and cocoa powder and stir to combine well.
Melt vegan butter in a small sauce pan over low heat. As soon as it’s melted, remove from heat and stir in 1/3 cup of the vegan chocolate chips. Stir until they completely melt and you have a smooth mixture. Add organic cane sugar and vanilla extract to the butter and chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- Add this to the flour and cocoa mixture. Also add in the flax mixture, another 1/3 cup of vegan chocolate chips, and walnut pieces. Fold together until combined.
- Add approximately 1 tablespoon of batter to each mini muffin cup. You’ll need 2 mini muffin pans to make 24 brownie bites. There’s no need to grease or oil the pans, as long as they’re non-stick.
Bake for approximately 14 minutes. Bake time may vary. Allow them to cool on a wire rack.
You can also spread this brownie batter into a 9″ x 9″ square baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. I would line it with parchment paper just so it’s easier to lift out and cut into squares.