I know you love the recipe for cauliflower buffalo wings, but now I’ve kicked it up a notch. I think you’ll probably keel over after trying one bite of this buffalo cauliflower sandwich with creamy ranch.
It’s nearly the exact same recipe as the cauliflower buffalo wings so you should be good to go, but just in case, there’s a fun “how to” video at the bottom of this post for some inspo… and to make ya drool!
If you have a copy of Vegan Comfort Classics: 101 Recipes to Feed Your Face, then you know about the suped-up version of the buffalo cauliflower. It adds panko breadcrumbs on the outside after battering it all up! Don’t forget that essential step. It makes this buffalo cauliflower super crunchy.
buffalo cauliflower sandwich
You’re going to love this lighter twist on a buffalo chicken and ranch sandwich… drool!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 C nondairy milk
- 1/2 C water
- 3/4 C all-purpose flour (can substitute gluten free rice flour)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 C Frank’s RedHot sauce
- 1/2 C vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- sea salt & ground black pepper, to taste
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Trim off any green leaves at the base of the cauliflower, but leave most of the stem in tact. Cut the head of cauliflower in half and then cut 2-inch x 1/2-inch steaks from each of the inside sides. You can use the remaining cauliflower to make buffalo wings or just use it in another recipe like my mushroom sage cauliflower risotto. Roasting it in the oven with sea salt, ground black pepper, and olive oil is delicious, too!
Mix the flour, nondairy milk, water, spices, sea salt, and ground black pepper in a mixing bowl with a whisk until well combined. Transfer this mixture to a wide shallow baking dish that will fit your cauliflower steaks. Dredge the steaks through the batter and use your hands to coat them quite well, getting in all the crevices. Place the battered cauliflower steaks onto the parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the ranch sauce and buffalo sauce.
In a bowl, whisk all the ingredients together for the ranch. Refrigerate until you’re ready to assemble the sandwiches.
Just before the cauliflower is finished baking, melt the vegan butter and whisk it into the hot sauce in a shallow dish you can dredge the cauliflower steaks in once again.
Remove the cauliflower from the oven. You may want to let them cool so you can handle them. You might need to replace your parchment paper if it’s really soaked through or burned quite a bit.
Dredge the cauliflower steaks through the buffalo sauce, making sure to coat them evenly. Bake again on a parchment lined baking sheet for 25 minutes.
To assemble the sandwiches, spread ranch on both sides of a toasted kaiser, then lay down the buffalo cauliflower steak on the bottom, add red onion slices, lettuce, and thick cut tomato slices.
You could cut the cauliflower steaks in half to make 4 smaller, slider style sandwiches.