coconut fakin’ bacon

coconut fakin bacon_hot for food

Bacon has definitely been over used in the food world and I’m sick of it! There’s a healthier and compassionate alternative if you’re craving some bacon-y goodness at breakfast time, on a caesar salad, or in a BLT sandwich. Coconut fakin’ bacon is a wondrous substitute that’s easy and cheap to make at home. There are brands you might find in specialty stores, but I say don’t bother. They’re way too expensive! So start fakin’ your bacon and try out this recipe.

Once you taste this recipe, you’ll be sprinkling coconut bacon on literally EVERYTHING. Start your heavenly fakin’ bacon journey by baking up some maple bacon oat scones!

coconut fakin bacon_hot for food

coconut fakin bacon_hot for food
5 from 1 vote

coconut fakin' bacon

Coconut fakin' bacon is a wondrous substitute that's easy and cheap to make at home.

Course Appetizer, Side Dish
Cuisine American
Keyword coconut, coconut bacon, fakin' bacon, vegan bacon
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 3 cups

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.

2. In a mixing bowl, whisk low-sodium soy sauce or tamari, liquid smoke, maple syrup, and smoked paprika together. You can adjust any of the measurements to make it smokier, saltier, or sweeter. It might just be a matter of preference for some people.

3. Add the flaked coconut into the mixture and lightly toss with a spoon to coat evenly.

4. Spread out evenly onto a baking sheet (or 2) heavily greased with coconut oil or lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes but toss the mixture on the sheet every 5 minutes. Make sure you set the timer so you don't forget and burn the whole batch (which I may have done before!).

5. Sprinkle with sea salt right out of the oven and remove the coconut fakin' bacon from the baking sheet, which is so hot it will continue to brown. Dump it onto a large plate or another baking sheet to cool.
  6. Store in an air tight container or jar and use it on everything... kale caesar salad, avocado on toast, a bacon mushroom melt, or even maple bacon scones! The possibilities are endless.

• lucy 5 years ago

does the pan have to be greased in coconut oil or will a different oil work?

we like coconut oil because it just kind of goes with the whole coconut thing and it can withstand this temperature of baking, but I’m sure safflower or grapeseed oil would work too. Don’t use olive oil though as it should never be heated. Let us know how it works!

• Alexandra 4 years ago

Where can I find liquid smoke? I have not heard of this product. Thanks

Hey!
      It’s actually pretty common. Not sure where you live, but in Toronto where we are we’ve found it at Metro, Sobey’s, Essence of Life in Kensington Market, and Fiesta Farms.

• Richard 4 years ago

How long can you store the fakin bacon in the jar for?

• Vena 3 years ago

where do you buy your flaked coconut? i cant find it at my local grocery (loblaws) 🙁

bulk stores or look for it where they sell the Bob’s Red Mill brand. They make a bag of it. In toronto i’ve found it at Fiesta Farms, Noah;s, and Essence of Life in Kensington and sometimes sobey’s

• Al Paes 3 years ago

How long does the bacon keep in an airtight jar?

• Court 3 years ago

Do you know how long it stores for?

• Chloe 3 years ago

Sigh I wanted to these to be similar to bacon. I halved the batch, and maybe it’s just cause some pieces were slightly burnt, but this just didn’t fulfill my bacon-y dreams! I threw these on top of some cauliflower soup (along with you guys’ cashew sour cream. YUM), and it just had the texture of shredded burnt coconut with salty and sugar. Great for texture, not so much for flavor. I’ll keep tweeking!

• Helen 3 years ago

Perfect salad topper! So yummy 🙂

• Joyce Erb 3 years ago

This is awesome! My housekeeper which also helps with food prep tasted it. Her eyes lit up and she asked how I did that!

• Sara 2 years ago

Is 1/4tbsp of tamari/soy sauce a typo? 1/4 cup seems to make more sense to me…

yesss it is a typo. SORRY! :/ 1/4 CUP