Well I’m about to change your life! You can make these handmade everything bagels and herb & garlic cream cheese at home and indulge on the daily.
I’ve been imagining recreating this classic comfort for a while now since I used to be hella obsessed with eating everything bagels and herb & garlic cream cheese from Tim Horton’s in my pre-vegan days.
I don’t understand why this popular Canadian chain won’t make any vegan options or serve nondairy milk for the coffee, but sometimes things just remain mysterious. Regardless, who needs them when you can be a kitchen wizard and impress all your friends with my help!
These aren’t nearly as complicated as you’re probably thinking they are to make, and this cream cheese is going to be in heavy rotation from this moment forward. TRUST ME!
Watch the video below to see how it’s done and then scroll for the recipes.
Just a note about the tofu. There are various textures of “firm” tofu depending on the brand you buy. The best one for this is a firm tofu that comes water packed. I usually buy the brand Wildwood. This is a bit softer and has more moisture than those really crumbly bricks that come vacuum sealed with little to no water in the package.
herb & garlic tofu cream cheese
This super easy and extra tangy spread is the best damn vegan herb & garlic cream cheese you’ll find anywhere!
- 1 x 450g pkg firm tofu, drained
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 C + 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp dill, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp basil, chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- To make the cream cheese use a paper towel to pat the tofu mostly dry and soak up some of the excess liquid before blending.
- Blend tofu in a high-powered blender with lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic cloves, onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, sea salt, and coconut oil until smooth. You'll need to use the baton inside the blender to get the thick mixture very smooth.
- Pour the cream cheese into a bowl and fold in the fresh herbs. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours until set.
Are you ready to change your life?! Make these everything bagels from scratch and top 'em with the vegan herb & garlic cream cheese or anything else you like.
- 4 C bread flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 1/4 tsp quick rise yeast
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 C warm water (between 120°F - 130°F)
everything bagel topping
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp raw or roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp granulated or minced dehydrated onion
- 2 tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt (optional)
vegan "egg" wash
- 2 tbsp nondairy milk
- 1/4 tsp brown sugar
- 2 qts water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- If you have a stand mixer it's best to make the bagel dough with this method using the bread hook. This dough requires lots of kneading! In a stand mixer combine the flour with sugar, sea salt and yeast until well mixed. Then while the machine is running on low add in the oil and water. Gradually increase the speed slowly as the mixture comes together to form the dough. Once it's coming away from the sides continue to knead it on a higher speed until the ball of dough is smooth and slightly sticky. However, it should not be sticking to your hands.
- Use a small amount of flour on your hands to remove the dough from the hook and get it out of the bowl onto a clean surface. You do not need to add excess flour, just a light dusting on the counter should be fine.
- Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Cut the ball of dough in half, each half in half again, and then each of those quarters in half so you have 8 pieces. Roll each portion into a ball which you can knead a couple more times to get smooth.
- To hand form the bagels, punch a hole in the centre of the ball of dough with your thumb. Then use two fingers to expand and stretch the hole forming a smooth bagel shape. Place bagels onto the baking sheet. The hole should be farely large as it will poof up when rising, boiling and baking.
- Cover the baking sheet with a damp towel and allow to rise for about 15 to 20 minutes. They should not double in size but just increase by about 50%.
- Meanwhile combine the everything bagel topping together in a wide shallow dish.
- Prepare the vegan "egg" wash by mixing the nondairy milk and brown sugar together in a separate small bowl.
- Once the bagels have proofed boil the water, baking soda, and brown sugar in a large pot on the stove. Add 1 or 2 to a rolling boil. Boil about 1 minute flipping half-way through. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a wire rack over another baking sheet to drain excess water.
- Brush each bagel gently with vegan "egg" wash on one side. Place brushed side down in the dish of everything bagel seasoning. Ensure you coat the top of the bagel well. You can use your hands to gently amass the seasoning all over the surface. Place onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Space bagels out about 1-inch apart. You will probably need 2 baking sheets to bake the bagels as they have increased in size quite a bit.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown on the top. Let the bagels cool on a wire rack before slicing. Top with a generous amount of herb & garlic tofu cream cheese and/or some of your other favorite toppings.
These bagels can be frozen for longer storage but are of course best served on the same day as baking!