buffalo oyster mushrooms

buffalo oyster mushrooms_hot for food

These hot little gems are part of the latest episode of RECIPE?! that went live on the YouTube channel today. It’s the segment where I just make something out of nothing and don’t really pay attention to what the actual recipe is. It’s cooking at its best, and everyone on the internet seems to identify with my off-the-cuff method of madness. Honestly, the best things I make often have NO recipe at all. Then I have to make it again so I can actually write it down for you guys. The life of a food blogger ain’t easy… in this particular case. I hate writing down what I’m doing when the creative juices are flowing in the kitchen!

Anyhoo, this recipe combines two existing recipes on the blog. I’ve double breaded oyster mushrooms with the cauliflower buffalo wing batter and the breading is basically the same breading from the naked chicken chalupa recipe.

Essentially, you could add whatever spices you wanted to the flour breading and it will probably turn out delicious! Just remember to be quite generous. But here I’ve listed what I did and tried to come up with a more seamless, less messy method of double battering for you. If you watch the above video, you’ll see what a hot mess it all was… I was acting fast!

Remember I’m guessing here, but a 1/2 lbs to 1 lbs of oyster mushrooms should be good. I used tiny pieces because they were intended to be for the oyster mushroom po boy sandwich, but for this particular use I would buy bulk mushrooms and look for the largest pieces you can. Clusters would also work well. The bigger the better. Then it’ll be juicier and look even more like authentic fried chicken!

buffalo oyster mushrooms_hot for food

• Ivana 2 years ago

Thank you Lauren! Greetings from Croatia

• Sue Medeiros 8 months ago

I tried this recipe tonight hubby and I loved it. The seasoning was perfect, loved the batter.

• Lauren Toyota 7 months ago

awesome! Super glad to hear 😀

• Mir 7 months ago

I just made these, but with seitan instead of oyster mushrooms (because that’s what I had on hand), and they were AMAZING!!! I’d never deep-fried before, so I was nervous, but I watched your video a few times and that made me feel better & more secure about it. My breaded & fried seitan came out just like your photos — crispy and crunchy with that wonderful flaky, rippled “skin.” Absolutely delicious recipe. I will be making this again! Thank you!!

• Lauren Toyota 7 months ago

I would love to see what that looks like!!!

• Ana 4 months ago

I made these tonight and they were so delicious! I used brown rice flour for the batter and coating and it worked perfect. I also just fried in a bit of oil to brown (not deep fry) then put them in a hot oven (425) for about 20 minutes. They were so crunchy! Thank you for this wonderful recipe.