This is a super flavorful and mega comforting golden curry noodle soup that was a contender in the soup challenge!
This is a triple whammy that combines noodles, curry flavors, and hearty soup in one bowl.
Here in Canada, we celebrated the first official week of spring! But it’s still cold AF and wintery here, so we needed to get cozy and hence the vegan soup challenge was birthed. You get 2 yummy and comforting soups out of this one!
There was also the vegetable dumpling soup that came out of this competition, which is also v cozy!
Check the video below to see it all come together, or keep scrolling for the recipe.
golden curry noodle soup
Make this quick and cozy golden curry noodle soup with Thai curry, cilantro, lime, fresh veggies, fried tofu, and lots of noodles!
- 1 C sliced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled & roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 to 4 tbsp thai yellow curry paste
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne (optional)
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 C low-sodium vegetable stock
- small handful kaffir lime leaves
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced (matchsticks)
- 2 C broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- sea salt, to taste
- 250 g thick flat rice noodles
- 1/2 a brick firm tofu
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- handful cilantro
- lime wedges (optional)
- Heat a stock pot over medium heat with vegetable oil and sauté onions for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add in garlic and ginger and continuing sautéing for a couple more minutes until soft and fragrant.
Stir in curry paste, turmeric, and cayenne, coating the onions, garlic, and ginger.
Add coconut milk and stir to combine. Add kaffir lime leaves and low-sodium vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
Meanwhile, cook rice noodles to al dente in a separate pot of boiling water. This is to prevent the noodles from soaking up all the broth.
Prepare the tofu by heating a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Pat the brick of tofu with a towel or paper towels to soak up excess water. It doesn’t need to be completely pressed. Cube the tofu to your liking.
Add the vegetable oil to the hot cast iron skillet and place cubes of tofu in the pan.
Season with a pinch each of sea salt, ground black pepper, and paprika. After 4 minutes, flip the tofu. Season the other side and continue frying, flipping about every 4 to 6 minutes to get all the sides crispy and golden brown.
Just before serving, ensure the broth is simmering and add vegetables. Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are slightly crisp and bright in color.
At the end, add in lime juice and sea salt to taste.
- Drain noodles from the boiling water and place in the bottom of your serving bowls. Pour soup over top and garnish with green onions, cilantro, and a lime wedge.