Yes, it’s happening! Vegan thanksgiving waffles made with mashed potatoes, a plant-based turkey meat, gravy, and cranberry sauce.
You could do this with leftovers from your feast or you could just make these for your actual feast and eat breakfast for dinner… cause you’re an adult and you can do what you want! Feeling thankful yet? You will be soon once you sink your teeth into these!
This was part of the first official Thanksgiving challenge this week! Check out the fierce competition in the video below or keep scrolling for the vegan Thanksgiving waffles recipe.
Get the recipe for the cauliflower turkey skillet that was also part of the Thanksgiving challenge here!
vegan thanksgiving waffles
Everyone loves festive Thanksgiving flavors and food… now you can smash them all together and make waffles for brunch!
mashed potato waffles
- 8 C large diced yellow potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/3 C green onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 package Tofurkey Slow Roasted Chick’n
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 C cranberry sauce
- 1 batch vegan gravy (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, as garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil with potatoes. Cook until fork tender – approximately 10 minutes.
Drain the potatoes and add them back to the pot. Mash them about half way, then add in vegan butter, onions, garlic, and sea salt and ground black pepper. Continue mashing until they’re well combined. They don’t need to be perfectly smooth or mashed.
- Heat up your waffle iron and ensure it has a light coating of oil before adding any mashed potatoes. Add enough mashed potatoes so that it’s about 3/4″ thick and leave some room around the edge of the iron. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Time may vary based on your waffle iron.
Meanwhile, heat a pan over medium heat with vegetable oil and tear the chicken pieces with your hands so they look more shredded. Brown them in the pan for 3 to 4 minutes.
Heat up your gravy until warmed through.
To assemble the waffles, add chicken pieces on top of one waffle, pour some gravy over top, then a dollop of cranberry sauce and top with another waffle. Add thyme sprigs as a garnish on top and serve immediately!