This tasty creation was part of the hot for food unofficial vegan pizza challenge! It’s classic pizza at its finest without any animal by-products. Although I love making wild pizza creations, sometimes it’s nice to stick to the basics. This vegan margherita pizza has simple tomato sauce, homemade cashew mozzarella, and basil. You can make your own dough from scratch, or buy a vegan dough from the store.
It was up against my BBQ chik’un ranch pizza, but mine came out on top. You can find my BBQ chik’un ranch pizza recipe here. It’s even more delicious (and the votes prove it!).
Watch the vegan pizza challenge below!
Who needs real cheese when you can whip up cashew mozza in a hot minute to make this tasty margherita pizza!
- 1/2 C raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1 C unsweetened nondairy milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp tapioca flour/starch
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 C pizza sauce
- 1/2 C whole basil leaves
- Drain and rinse the raw cashews from the soaking water. Add to a blender with almond milk, lemon juice, tapioca, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, and white pepper and combine until very smooth.
Heat this cheese mixture over medium heat in a small sauce pan, whisking until thickened (approximately 8 to 10 minutes).
- Spread pizza sauce evenly over pizza crust. Make your own dough using my recipe, or you can purchase pizza dough from the deli section of most grocery stores.
Dollop the cashew mozzarella using a spoon. You can also pour the mixture into a piping bag with a thick tip, or into a Ziploc bag where you can snip the corner and squeeze out the mixture. It doesn't have to be even. Spread it out a little with a spoon or your finger.
Bake the pizza in an oven preheated to 450°F and add basil leaves on top in the last minute of baking.