You can enjoy the fresh flavor combo of a traditional Vietnamese-style banh mi but with no meat at all!
This bbq tempeh banh mi a great Meatless Monday idea that you’ll want leftovers of all week. You’ve probably seen veggie versions of this sandwich made with tofu in some restaurants. But I like the heartiness and full flavour of tempeh.
The tempeh gets smothered with sweet BBQ sauce and it’s nearly perfect paired with quick pickled cabbage and carrots, crunchy cucumbers, spicy jalapeños, and citrusy cilantro.
If you’re looking for vegan-friendly BBQ sauce at the store, just be on the look out for ingredients like honey or anchovies in the product. Those would be a no-go!
bbq tempeh banh mi
You’ll be down for Meatless Monday when you taste the flavors going on in this BBQ tempeh banh mi sandwich!
- 1 250 g brick/package tempeh
- 1/2 C favorite bbq sauce
- 1/4 C water
- 1 C shredded napa cabbage
- 1 C carrot, shredded or ribbons
- 1/2 C unseasoned rice vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 3/4 C hot water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 long french-style baguette, divided into 4 pieces (or 4 crusty rolls)
- 1/2 C vegan mayonnaise
- 3 field cucumbers, thinly sliced or shaved
- 1/4 C pickled jalapeños
- 1 C cilantro leaves
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Slice tempeh into quarters (4 slices). Whisk together your favorite bbq sauce with 1/4 cup water, and marinate tempeh in the mixture for 20 minutes in the fridge.
Toss together shredded cabbage and carrot in a bowl. Add minced garlic, cumin seeds, ground mustard, sea salt, ground black pepper, rice vinegar and hot water and combine until well mixed and the cabbage and carrot are submerged. Refrigerate until ready to assemble sandwiches.
- Lay marinated tempeh slices onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping the slices half way through baking time and using extra marinade to baste them once or twice.
- Prepare the baguette/buns by spreading 1 tablespoon of vegan mayonnaise on the inside of each side of the bun.
Shake excess liquid off of the pickled cabbage and carrot, and place a small handful on the bottom bun. Place a couple slices of baked tempeh on top and add cucumber, cilantro, and pickled jalapénos.