This week kicks off National Vegetarian Week! Of course, I want you to go full vegan, but everyone’s got to start somewhere. These raw walnut meat tacos should be convincing enough to get you to go veg. Look out, meaty diets. There’s a new alternative in town! If you’re already vegan, but you’ve been eating to much ‘wheat meat’ or soy-based substitutes, this is a nice clean change to your normal alternatives.
I’m calling these tacos raw because everything in them is raw, however the Food for Life Sprouted Corn Tortillas might not be 100% raw, but they’re borderline raw. Good enough for me! They have only 4 ingredients, are made with sprouted whole corn, and are cooked at a low temperature. But if you’re a hardcore raw foodie, I’m sure you can do better research than I did to find out for sure. So don’t hate.
You can assemble the tacos with the walnut meat and any other ingredients you like, but here’s what I did.
raw walnut meat tacos
This savory seasoned walnut mixture in these raw tacos might just convince you to go vegan!
walnut meat (makes 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 C raw walnuts, soaked for 20 minutes in hot water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp cold pressed olive oil
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Drain and rinse the walnuts. In a food processor, grind up the nuts, spices, salt, and low-sodium soy sauce or tamari. While the food processor is running on low, drizzle in the olive oil, and continue to process until everything is well combined and looks like a fine meal. This doesn’t take long at all!
- For the mushrooms, toss them in olive oil, low-sodium soy sauce or tamari, and sea salt, until well coated. Let them sit in the fridge overnight in an air tight container, or if you have a food dehydrator you can lay them out evenly on the non-stick sheets and dehydrate at 105°F for 40 minutes.
Assemble the tacos with walnut meat, marinated mushrooms, broccoli hemp tabbouleh, tomato, green onion and vegan sour cream.