adobo chili mac & cheese

adobo chili mac & cheese_hot for food

I made an adobo chili mac & cheese with the leftover sauce I made to go with the roasted poblano and jackfruit tacos! I guess you don’t like as much leftover sauce as I do, and I had some inquiries about what else you could use it for. That answer is simple… just about everything! If you like things hot ‘n’ spicy, give this dish a try.

adobo chili mac & cheese_hot for food

• Chantel 2 years ago

UPDATE: i have now made this three times, and i add sauteed kale in the mix with extra parm. It’s WONDERFUL.

• tanya 2 years ago

thank you!! perfect timing for the leftover sauce I had from last night’s delicious tacos!

• Kelsey Keohane 2 years ago

I did something delicious: I made this recipe today but I think I added a bit too much chipotle adobo – so while it was delicious, my mouth was a fiery hell hole. I still wanted to use the leftovers so I decided to make mac and cheese balls! They. Are. Awesome.

So, if you have leftovers … add cheddar daiya shreds (about 1/3 – 1/2 a cup depending on how much you have left) and melt that over medium heat until it’s nice and gooey. Then refrigerate for a few hours until it’s more congealed and easier to work with. When ready, use a scoop spoon or your hands to create little balls (careful not to make them too big). For batter I used the same recipe as hotforfood’s cheesy brussel sprout tots – all-purpose flour, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and non-dairy milk (I used a mix of almond and coconut milk because that’s what I had). Dip your balls into the batter and then roll into a mix of panko bread crumbs and nutritional yeast.

Put in the oven at 450 F for about 5 min and then flip for another 5 min. Take out when they’re slightly brown and crispy on the outside. You could probably stop here and eat them like that (and I did for half) – but I also tried deep frying in veg oil the other half (after baking – it made it easier to work with). Both ways are delicious.

• Christine 2 years ago

Thank you! I asked for tips on how to use this on your jackfruit taco recipe and I’m so glad you made this. Such a great way to use up the adobo sauce. This is delicious. I diluted it with a bit of water and it’s perfect. So tasty, spicy and flavorful.

• Jennifer 2 years ago

Super delicious, made it tonight! But the sauce was way too hot for me – a certain Johnny Cash song comes to mind. Fiery! Even if you love hot food I’d start with less chipotle in adobo sauce and build up if you need more heat. Looking forward to making this quick dish again!

• Dana Dabros 2 years ago

OH. MY. GOD. THIS IS INSANELY SPICY. I threw in the entire can of peppers thinking it smelled so lovely and BBQ-esque…. First bite initial flavour was amazing, and then the burn hit. I am usually ok with spice, I normally ask for "medium" spice level…. this is among the top 5 spiciest dishes I have ever eaten, lol. Three bites in an I am sweating. We poured daiya ranch all over it to try and cut the spice, which I did not find to help much. It took me over an hour to eat my bowl, but I didn’t give up hahaha. My boyfriend and I have both experienced "Ring of Fire" after eating this for dinner last night.

I used "Casa Fiesta" Chipotle Peppers… not sure if they are spicier than what was used in developing this recipe?? Regardless, I would like to try this again using about 1/4 of the can instead of the whole thing! The texture and flavours beyond the spice are amazing.

I do advise that people testing this recipe out for the first time reduce the amount of peppers and add more to taste…

• Brittany Adams 2 years ago

AHH why didn’t I read the comments before I made this?! That adobo sauce is HOT! I’ve been adding maple syrup in a feeble attempt at dulling it down but it’s not helping 🙁 An otherwise awesome recipe – I just wish it wasn’t so spicy for my poor mouth!

• Kelly 8 months ago

How can I make the adobo cream sauce dairy free?

• Lauren Toyota 8 months ago

it is dairy free?! Do you mean nut free? You can add the same amount of tofu as cashews