vegan sausage rolls

vegan sausage rolls_hot for food

These hors d’oeuvres came about in the latest challenge video on YouTube… the vegan appetizer challenge! I’m completely serious when I tell you that I had a vision of making these vegan sausage rolls. I knew exactly what mix of herbs, spices, and binders to throw into the mix. It was divine intervention… I swear. The first time I made them (in the video below) they turned out perfect. Watch the battle for the best party hors d’oeuvres now!

vegan sausage rolls_hot for food

• Jessica 3 years ago

What are the beans that you put in the food processor along with the rest? Because they’re not in the recipe?

aah you’re fast! haha navy beans. That’s what happens when you draft a post at 3:30 am 😀

• Jessica 3 years ago

Yeah, I have a party on Friday and wanted to make both yours and John’s recipes! So I went over to the blog immediately after watching the video so I can do groceries tomorrow 😀

• bec 3 years ago

can you sub out the gluten for something else if you’re intolerant?

• Lexi 3 years ago

Would oat flour be a good sub for the Gluten?

• Patt 3 years ago

I don’t think you can sub out the vital wheat gluten. It is what makes the sausage hold together and be chewie. This recipe is sort of a seitan thing. You need the wheat gluten:it is vital. Get it? See what I did there?

• sarah 3 years ago

yummmm these look so good. I’m going to try them out tonight but just make them as a sausage and cook in a pan.

• Haley Bowes 3 years ago

Hi Lauren, I’d like to trick my family with these over Thanksgiving. May I ask where you found vegan phyllo in Toronto? Also, if you haven’t already, check out Good Rebel at Dundas and Brock. It is an all vegan grocer that just opened and they have all of the weird and wonderful vegan things one could ask for. Thank you for all of the brilliant recipes!

I found it at Fiesta Farms. It’s not phyllo (but they do have that too) – it is PUFF PASTRY!

• Sara 3 years ago

Hey Lauren,
    Im using vwg for the first time and have made your sausage rolls, im not sure if theyre cooked on the inside or not cause its still quite soft and gooey like, should it be more thick and meaty?

mine definitely had a bit of a chew to them! not gooey.

• Cathy 2 years ago

I pre-cooked the wheat gluten mixture, as if making sausages etc., for not quite as long as if making sausages, about 10 mins less, because you are going to cook again, with the pasty on. I formed into long sausage shapes, then steamed them. Wheat gluten will need at least 40 mins of cooking time, so pre-cooking is essential, imo.

It really did come out so good, one of the best sausage roll recipes I came across!

• Hanna 3 years ago

Hey Lauren, I’m from germany and we don’t have anything like vital wheat gluten and I don’t even know what that is, so do you know any substitutes vor vwg?

• Josh 3 years ago

Just look for ‘Seitan Fix’ which is usually 100% wheat gluten.

• Jessie 3 years ago

Hey Lauren, I’m planning on making these for Christmas morning (ya I’m waaaay ahead of myself here). My family is pretty traditional and have PC sausage rolls every Christmas since the beginning of time. I wondered what you thought about using Jenne @sweetpotatosoul’ s sausage recipe for these. Would you cook the sausage first or roll from raw like you did here?

• Morgan 3 years ago

I wanted to know if anyone had frozen these before cooking and if it worked out because I am planning on making them for Christmas eve dinner and won’t be home during the day to cook or the day before and I may have to prepare these a couple days before (I know I’m super ahead of myself, just wanted to be prepared lol)

• Liz 2 years ago

I did! they turned out pretty good! Altough I did not use the same pastry. Lauren uses a frozen puff pastry and as far as I know you’re not supposed to re-freeze ready-made puff pastry that has been thawed.
      I used a fresh ready-made vegan puff pastry that they sell here in the supermarkets in the Netherlands, called ‘Tante Fanny’. Because it’s fresh and you buy it refrigerated I thought it would be fine to freeze it!

• Belinda 3 years ago

Can anyone tell me what i can use as a substitue for the vital gluten? would water and ground flax work to bind it?

• Oriana 2 years ago

Could I make the filling in advance and keep it in the fridge for a day until I can roll them in the pastry?

I believe that would be fine. I haven’t tried it but there’s not reason it shouldn’t work

• Catherine 2 years ago

Made these for Christmas and froze some of them. Just reheated at 375 for about 10-15 minutes delicious!

• MJ 2 years ago

FYI – I baked these first, then froze them. Then I simply re heated them in the oven from frozen at the same temperature. They turned out perfect!

• Ruth Scott 2 years ago

I’m new to your blog and found you guys through YouTube I love your videos. These are amazing recipes thanks for sharing them.

awesome! So glad you found us. Thanks Ruth!

• Lisa Burbidge 2 years ago

These are UN. REAL. I just pre-made them for a party this weekend and I am so impressed. Followed the recipe very closely, though I only had dried parsley so I used about 2.5 tbsp of that, and I followed one of the comments and quickly cooked up the mushroom mixture before rolling them (maybe 5 mins or so in the pan). My only thing is that I found them to be quite salty so I will reduce the salt next time. A+ recipe!!

• Danielle Jeaurond 1 year ago

LAUREN! Killing it again! These are unbelievable! Thank you for creating yet another recipe that I can amazing my non-vegan family with at our upcoming family gathering for Christmas dinner! This was my first time working with vital wheat gluten and you are absolutely correct that it really adds to the ‘meaty’ texture.

FYI to everyone else looking to create this masterpiece, I required two packages of pre-rolled puff pastry to make these without them bursting at the seams!

YUM!