cassava bacon

Are you ready? This is the holy grail of veggie bacon… and we discovered it! Honestly, it’s the best veggie bacon we’ve ever tried or made and it’s made from cassava (also known as yuca), a starchy weird looking root veg. Actually it’s how tapioca starch is made too, when dried, and we use that all the time as a thickener instead of cornstarch!

This was part of our latest YouTube episode of the big salad challenge. Watch the madness below!

cassava bacon
0 from 0 votes

cassava bacon

this cassava bacon is officially the holy grail of veggie bacon... no joke! Make it and serve it with a crunchy and creamy vegan caesar salad.

Course Appetizer, Salad
Cuisine American
Keyword bacon, cassava, vegan bacon, yuca
Cook Time 20 minutes
marinate 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4

• 1 cassava / yuca root
  • 1/4 C gluten-free tamari (can sub soy sauce)
  • 1 tbsp liquid smoke
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • pinch sea salt
  • coconut oil, for frying

1. Combine tamari, liquid smoke, maple syrup, smoked paprika, and sea salt together in a dish.
  2. Peel the tough brown skin off the cassava and discard. Then using the peeler shave off strips of the cassava root. Marinade the strips of cassava in the dish with the sauce for 10 to 15 minutes.

3. When ready to cook, heat a non-stick pan over medium heat with coconut oil and once the pan is hot place 4 to 5 strips into the pan. Cook time is about 4 to 5 minutes for the first side and 3 minutes after flipped. You might need to lower the heat as you're frying in batches so the pan doesn't get too hot.

4. Once or twice while frying the strips add a little bit more of the marinade to the pan to help caramelize the strips of cassava bacon.

5. Remove the fried pieces from the pan and place onto a plate. No need for paper towel to catch the grease! In fact, placing the strips on paper towel isn't advised as they will stick.

Recipe Notes

The serving size varies depending on what you're making. We used half a root and had enough bacon for about 3 to 4 large caesar salads. You can either shave half the cassava as per the recipe or use the whole thing and double the marinade amounts.

If you've heard that cassava is poisonous and contains cyanide, you're not wrong. But you don't need to worry about it. From our research it seems that the issue is with the bitter variety of cassava which is harder to prepare (to cook out the cyanide) and it isn't the one commonly sold in our supermarkets. Cooking the cassava properly is all that matters. You can read more here

If you want to make the caesar dressing and croutons get those recipes here in the original kale caesar salad post.

• zeeto 3 years ago

Looks amazing. Hopefully I can find yucca in my grocery store…

• Dan 3 years ago

Thanks for the recipe! I’m always looking for a good bacon recipe. I never would have thought of this.

Just fyi, cassava = yuca ("yoo-ka"). Yucca is something quite different! Sorry for being pedantic, but I don’t want people to get confused.

you’re welcome!
      that’s ok, BUT how come at the grocery store is says both things on the label AND when you google it also says cassava (or yucca or arrowroot or tapioca) … tell me! I have no idea

• Dan 3 years ago

I’ve seen it labeled incorrectly on menus and it is an easy mistake to make. Try googling "yuca vs. yucca."

• Danny chavarro 3 years ago

Yucca is a shrublike plant.. yuca is the root vegetable.. however stores and restaurants interchange them alot.

• Matt Hughes 3 years ago

How long will the root last if you put it in the marinade and put it in the fridge for later? I’m about to find out 🙂

• Tina 3 years ago

I’m on an oil free diet. can i bake the cassava and get it crispy? Degrees? 350?400?

• Christina 2 years ago

Looks amazing! I’m not vegan (although have been seriously considering) & I want to make this! 😀

give it a go! It will convert you 😉

• Marij 2 years ago

No problem finding cassava here in the Netherlands, but what on earth is liquid smoke!?

• Marij 2 years ago

Wait! I’ve found it, who knew!!?

• rob 2 years ago

hi! where did you find it in the netherlands??

• Caitlin 2 years ago

Oh, nice! I’m from the Caribbean and cassava is everywhere, and for once I’m in luck.Gonna try this one out today!

• Kajsa 2 years ago

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong with this. I just tried to make this but had to use Agave nectar instead of Maple syrup. A lot of things went wrong I think. First of all my slices didn’t come out broad and intact when i peeled it. Then my marinad seemed to be way to thick (keep in mind that I halved the recipe in half) but I’m guessing that’s because of the agave nectar, it’s a bit thicker than maple syrup is, at least here in Sweden. After the cassava had layed in the marinad for 15 mins and I was about to put them in the pan (heated at meduim and maybe a little hotter) the pieces all fell apart into really small, uneven shapes when I tried to take them out of the bowl. Since my marinade were kind of thick it looked more like I were going to make cassava wings instead of cauliflower. If you have any tips or tricks to share with me I’d gladly try them! I really want them to be crispy and flavourful, of course. ^^

• Emily 2 years ago

I made this but with king oyster mushrooms instead and it was great! Thanks for sharing

• Emi Ayau 2 years ago

Hi Lauren,

I am in the process of converting my family…they have no choice. Lol. We live in Hawaii, and a favorite food is Spam musubi. I know it’s terrible, but we’ve grown up eating this and we love it. I am currently marinating sliced tofu in your bacon marinade. The sauce tastes amazing! Can’t wait to try the final product. I doubled the soy sauce and maple, but did not double the smoke or paprika. It’s plenty smokey without the extra. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.