Everyone wants to eat lighter when it’s hot outside. So I’ve come up with a clever meat-free meal that’s a sophisticated all-veg take on fish tacos! Try something new on the BBQ and make these grilled cauliflower tacos with mango slaw & avocado crema! They’re perfect for a family picnic, an easy weeknight meal, or whenever a taco craving hits!
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, cauliflower is a great veggie to start getting familiar with in the kitchen. It makes a perfect substitute for so many dishes that traditionally have meat. You could roast it whole for Thanksgiving instead of a turkey, or make my well-loved cauliflower buffalo wings! Give this under-appreciated veg a try and it’ll rock your world.
grilled cauliflower tacos with mango slaw & avocado crema
Try these grilled cauliflower tacos as a refreshing, light, vegan alternative to fish tacos!
- 1 C thinly sliced red onion (approximately 1/2 an onion)
- 1 thinly sliced red pepper
- 1 thinly sliced red mango
- 1/4 C finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 1/2 avocados
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2/3 C canned coconut milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 24 corn tortillas
In a bowl, combine all ingredients for the mango slaw and refrigerate until ready to serve tacos.
In a blender, combine all the ingredients for the avocado crema until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve tacos.
- Toss cauliflower florets in olive oil, minced garlic, chili powder, and cumin and grill for 20 minutes on the barbecue over medium-high heat.
- Assemble each taco with 2 corn tortillas as a base to prevent tacos from tearing. Place a small amount of mango slaw on the bottom, then a few pieces of grilled cauliflower, and top with a dollop or drizzle of avocado crema. Add a squeeze of extra lime on top if desired.