My only diet secret is easy. Eat all the colors of the rainbow, most of the time! Just look at the spectrum of color in this Meatless Monday meal idea for rainbow quinoa taco salad.
It’s full of flavor and I especially like the little zing from the creamy sunflower dressing. Taco salad is also a great way to get all the flavors you love in Mexican food, without consuming your weight in corn tortillas.
You might not find a pot of gold at the bottom of this bowl, but you’ll feel good eating it!
Watch how easily it comes together in the video below or keep scrolling for the recipe!
rainbow quinoa taco salad
Just look at the explosion of color in this quick and easy rainbow quinoa taco salad!
- 1/2 C rainbow quinoa
- 1 C water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 8 C chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 398 ml/14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 C frozen corn, thawed and drained
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/4 C finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 C diced tomato
- 1/4 C packed cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp lime juice
- corn chips, for serving
creamy sunflower seed dressing
- 1/2 C raw sunflower seeds, soaked for 20 minutes in hot water
- 1/2 C water
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 1/2 tbsp)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
In a small pot, combine quinoa, water, and sea salt. Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
Meanwhile, combine diced tomato, red onion, cilantro and lime juice to make a fresh salsa.
Drain and rinse the soaked sunflower seeds, then add to a high-powered blender with remaining dressing ingredients. Combine until very smooth.
Just before serving, dress the chopped romaine lettuce in a large mixing bowl with 4 tablespoons of dressing, then divide portions into serving bowls.
- Top each serving with quinoa, black beans, corn, diced avocado, fresh tomato salsa, and another drizzle of dressing. Serve with corn chips on the side if desired.