Once you realize that eating vegan food isn’t about sacrifice or restriction, but rather expanding your palette and creating magic in the kitchen, then my job is done! Here’s a recipe for mushroom asparagus quiche to prove my point.
Yes, it’s vegan quiche! Mushroom asparagus quiche to be exact.
The homemade crust is freakin’ magical, and everyone will be impressed that you made these flaky morsels with your own two hands.
Eating vegan also means no more eggs, but honestly, I’m not complaining. There’s so many ingredients available that make whipping up egg-like goodness a total breeze! These mushroom asparagus quiche with red pepper relish will leave your mouth watering for more.
You might also want to dollop that scrumptious red pepper relish on all kinds of kitchen creations. If you try it on something other than the mushroom asparagus quiche let me know below in the comments! How about some pretzel bites?!
I also made yummy vegan quiche into a breakfast morsel, and you can get that recipe here.
mushroom asparagus quiche tarts with red pepper relish
Make these egg-free quiche tarts with red pepper relish for your next brunch!
- 2 C all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 C cold vegan butter, cubed
- 1/2 C ice cold water
- 1 C medium soft tofu
- 1/4 C nondairy milk
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp ground chia or flax
- 1 tsp arrowroot flour or cornstarch
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper or ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 C diced mushrooms
- 1/2 C diced asparagus
- 1/4 C finely chopped shallot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
red pepper relish
- 1 C finely chopped red pepper (approximately 1 pepper)
- 1/2 C finely chopped white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 C white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
Preheat oven to 350°F.
To make the crust, combine all-purpose flour and sea salt in a food processor. While the machine is running, slowly add cubes of cold vegan butter. Once a fine meal crumble is formed, slowly add the ice cold water. Stop the machine just as the dough comes together.
Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out until 1/4” thick.
- Cut out 5” wide circles. You should only need to roll out the dough twice and cut circles.
Gently press each circle of dough into the cups of a regular size muffin pan and bake for 10 minutes.
While the crust is baking, cook the shallots, mushrooms, and asparagus in olive oil over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add sea salt and ground black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining filling ingredients together in a high-powered blender until smooth. Pour this mixture into a large mixing bowl and fold in the cooked vegetables.
Fill baked crusts with the filling and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F.
While the quiche are baking, make the red pepper relish by sautéing red pepper and onion in olive oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add chilli flakes and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes. Bring heat to medium-low to prevent burning the garlic and onion. Add white wine vinegar, agave nectar, and dijon mustard, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve quiche right out of the oven with dollops of red pepper relish on top. Garnish with finely chopped chives if desired.